Pressure injuries are a very real and serious problem for many people around the world. In the UK the NHS estimated that between 1,700 and 2,000 new pressure ulcers are developed within 72 hours of a patient being admitted into care each month. And treating pressure injuries accounts for 4% of the total spend each year.
Thankfully, in recent times pressure care has improved significantly. Excellent initiatives such as Stop Pressure Ulcer Day have raised awareness in the media and there is a shift towards prioritising the actions needed to tackle the problem. New pressure care products have also come to market that greatly reduce the chances of these injuries occurring in the first place.
Given the extreme discomfort caused by pressure sores, the distress experienced by staff and the high costs in treatment – it is vitally important that everything is done to address the problem.
Proven Results in Pressurecare
The range includes our seating solutions Relax Wheelchair Cushions. Selecting a cushion is a unique and personal experience, what works and feels comfortable for one individual might not necessarily be suitable for another.
Studies have revealed that up to 60% of wheelchair users report a sore during their life time and that 75% of body weight is supported by only 8% of the seated area. This is something we keep in mind when working on new seating solutions as we strive to make a difference for wheelchair users.
We recently sent three of our wheelchair cushions to undergo an independent trial to learn more about how they were performing for both users and practitioners. The testing by BeoMed Counsulting Berlin on the Relax Range of wheelchair cushions (Gelcell, Gelcell G2 and Duogel) has revealed excellent results in the prevention of Pressure Sores……
Seating Solutions – BeoMed Independent Trial
Below is a brief overview highlighting some of the key findings from the trial.
- The Relax Gelcell G1 pressure-relief cushion was successfully used in BeoMed nursing homes.
- The residents expressed their satisfaction using the seating solution.
- The nursing staff gave very positive feedback about the cushion.
- The wheelchair cushion was used by high risk patients over a three-week period. Two residents each had a pressure sore in category II (EPUAP) in the sacral region. Good wound healing was observed.
- During the trial period residents had no new pressure induced skin lesions, therefore the effectiveness of the cushion was proven.
Relax Gelcell G2
- At the end of the test period of three weeks there were no negative skin changes observed in terms of pressure sore development in any of the residents.
- From the observations and results of the test the nursing team were highly satisfied with the medicinal benefits of the Relax Gellcell G2 since no pressure sores or recurrences arose and pressure sore therapy of pressure sores were positively supported.
- From the results and experience gained during the use of the test cushion, BeoMed evaluated the seating solution as appropriate in accordance with the indications of the manufacturer for use in pressure sore management.
- The use of the cushion was advocated both for both domestic and hospital applications.
- The five residents participating in the test showed a high and very high risk of pressure sores for the entire period of the test. At the end of the test period of three weeks no negative skin changes in terms of pressure sore development were found in any of our residents.
- Three of the five test persons had a pressure sore in category I, II and IV (EPUAP) in the sacral region. The three pressure sores showed a marked tendency to heal during the three-week test period.
- The test results found the nursing team was very happy with the medicinal benefits of the Relax Duogel as no pressure sores or recurrences arose and pressure sore therapy was positively supported.
- The Relax Duogel pressure-relief cushion was successfully used in BeoMed nursing homes. Wheelchair users felt comfortable using the seating solutions product.
- The nursing staff felt very positive about using the product after several weeks of testing time. Handling was found as being very simple for both the user and the handler.
- During the trial period residents experienced no new pressure sores.
- From the results and experience gained during the use of the test cushion, BeoMed have evaluated the product as appropriate in accordance with the indications of the manufacturer for use in pressure sore management.
Relax Seating Solutions
If you’re interested in becoming a distributor of Trulife Relax Seating Solutions products, please complete our short Distributor Enquiry Form. You can also download our Relax Seating Solutions Catalogue for more information on the ranges available.